I. The International Application Process
The admission process for international applications begins when a completed application is received by the University of Northern Iowa.
State specifically the type of admission for which you wish to be considered:
Undergraduate Study (Bachelor/First Degree)
Indicate if you wish to be considered for admission as a Bachelor, second Bachelor or non-degree Undergraduate student. Students attending UNI on exchange or a short-term program should mark as "Undergrad Non-Degree".
Graduate Study (Master/Specialist/Doctoral)
- Degree status: Degree status should be selected by students who wish to be considered for admission to a graduate program which can culminate in a degree.
- Non-Degree Status has been established for the post-baccalaureate student who:
- Wishes to take courses for self-enlightenment unrelated to any graduate degree program.
- Plans to demonstrate competence in graduate studies in support of consideration for admission to a degree program at a later time. NOTE: Academic departments are not obliged to count toward their degree programs any credit for course work undertaken in a non-degree status. If a department decides to accept such credit no more than 15 semester hours may be counted towards a degree program.
II. Completing the Application
Complete all the information requested on the application so there will be no misunderstanding. See that all questions are answered to avoid unnecessary correspondence and delay in considering your request for admission.
Your legal name as it appears on your passport should always be used. If any of your records appear under another name, give this name also.
III. Required Credentials
It is your responsibility to arrange to have the necessary credentials submitted. Follow the appropriate checklist undergraduate or graduate to ensure all required steps in the admission process are completed so that a missing item will not cause delay in considering your application. Please examine our Country Specific Undergraduate Admission Requirement List to learn more about the required credentials and minimum academic standards needed for admission to UNI.
Unofficial documents can be submitted at the time of application. However, official Academic/School Records (transcripts) must be provided before enrollment and mailed. To be official, each document must be mailed and have an original signature and seal or stamp of the issuing institution, if possible.
Documents must be mailed by the institution to the University of Northern Iowa.
- Students applying for Master or Doctoral programs must submit transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.
- Academic/School Records must show years of attendance, courses, grades, month and year of graduation and degree awarded.
- All transcripts in a language other than English must be accompanied by an official English translation.
- Usually only students applying for a first university degree (Bachelor) must submit Secondary (High School) transcripts.
- Transfer credit can be awarded only on the basis of course descriptions (syllabi) in English.
IV. English Proficiency
All applicants who are not native speakers of English must submit an official TOEFL score report. The recommended score for undergraduates is 550 or above (213 on the computerized TOEFL) or 79 on the iBT. Please note alternatives to the TOEFL for undergraduates. Graduate students may be considered with a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (213 on the computerized TOEFL) or 79 on the iBT. IELTS results will also be considered. Some academic departments require higher scores.
OUR INSTITUTIONAL CODE NUMBER IS 6307.
The University of Northern Iowa offers a full-time Culture & Intensive English Program (CIEP) for applicants who do not meet the language proficiency requirement.
Conditional admission may be considered for undergraduate students who are academically qualified but who have low or no proof of English proficiency. These students will be tested upon arrival on campus and will be required to enroll in intensive English courses as necessary.
V. Application Fee
A non-refundable application fee of $50.00 for undergraduate applicants or $75.00 for graduate applicants by credit card, bank draft, money order, or PeerTransfer is required in addition to the completed application form.
VI. Application Guidelines
For undergraduate international students there is no deadline as admission decisions are made on a rolling basis.
For graduate students, files should be completed by:
- Fall Semester (beginning in late August): April 1
- Spring Semester (beginning in early January): October 1
- Summer Semester (beginning in early June): February 1
International graduate students applying for graduate assistantships should complete their files by:
- Summer or Fall Semester: February 1
- Spring Semester: October 1
Choose from two ways to apply...
Your online application will be submitted electronically to the appropriate office through a secure server.
CLICK HERE to fill out the International Admissions Application.
Here is a list of the information you will need to provide to complete the online application:
- Semester you expect to begin studies at UNI.
- Permanent address information: Street address, city, state or province, postal code and country.
- Country of birth.
- Country of citizenship.
- Country of residence.
- Native language.
- Degree you are seeking at UNI.
- Field of study at UNI.
- Most recent college entrance examination test scores as appropriate to your level of study (graduate or undergraduate).
- Type of visa you expect to hold while at UNI.
- Educational background beginning at grade 9: dates of attendance, school level, school name and school location.
Print it out
If you prefer, you may print a copy of the application available in PDF format.
If you are seeking to enroll at UNI as an undergraduate student or graduate student, mail the completed application for admission plus the application fee of $50.00 for undergraduate applicants or $70.00 for graduate applicants to:
002 Gilchrist Hall
University of Northern Iowa,
Cedar Falls, Iowa 50614-0018 USA