This degree is designed for students whose work is primarily in professional education. Two plans of study leading to the degree of Master of Arts in Education are available: one plan requires the writing of a thesis; the other does not. Many programs at this level carry with them the requirements for teacher licensure. In some cases, the student may be building up competency in a field in which s(he) has had little or no preparation at the bachelor's level. For these reasons some of the programs must carry with them a substantial number of specific requirements. Whenever possible, however, an effort is made to keep the specific course requirements for each major at a minimum, so the student, with the help of her/his advisor and the departmental committee, may plan the graduate program which will best meet the student's individual needs. Next cohort starts in Fall 2022.
- International Application for Admission
- Official transcripts sent from your current and/or all prior academic institutions that you have attended to the Office of Admissions
- Minimum undergraduate grade point average of a 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale
- Official TOEFL Score (79) or IELTS (6.5)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Applicant Statement addressing professional background, motivation for seeking degree in Literacy Education, and career goals.
- Writing Exam: Literacy Education (MAE) applicants should contact the Literacy Education office ((319) 273-2698) for information about the proctored writing exam. The exam can be given on campus or at your location through a proctor. The exam is a timed essay/written response to a predetermined question. It provides information about incoming applicants academic writing skills and general literacy education content knowledge.
- Spring Semester: October 15
- Summer Semester: February 15
- Fall Semester: February 15
Graduate Assistantship Requirements:
- Students must complete and submit the Graduate College Assistantship Application and the Graduate College Scholarship Application form by February 1
Contacts and More Information:
- Program Of Study: https://catalog.uni.edu/collegeofeducation/curriculumandinstruction/#LiteracyedmajorMAE
- Department Website: https://coe.uni.edu/curriculum-instruction/master-arts-education
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com