This program is designed for students who plan to teach, coach, or concentrate their study on one of the sub-disciplines of physical education. If the undergraduate degree was not in Physical Education or the student does not have at least twelve (12) credit hours of undergraduate theory classes (exclusive of activity classes and Advanced Skill and Coaching classes) on the transcript, the student must take twelve (12) credit hours of either undergraduate or graduate physical education course work on the graduate degree to make up the deficiency. Three (3) credit hours of the additional 12 hours must be an undergraduate Elementary or Secondary Methods in Physical Education course. Both thesis and non-thesis options are available. Additional hours may be required if, upon entering the graduate program, the student needs prerequisites. Areas of concentration include:
Kinesiology & Sport Performance (On-Campus Only) - This emphasis prepares students for careers in the following areas: strength and conditioning, the fitness industry, sport performance and coaching. An MA in Kinesiology is also used to increase a student’s chances of being accepted into physical therapy or medical school.
Pedagogy (Online Only) - This emphasis prepares teachers to be effective and reflective educators while providing for the professional development needs of PK-12 physical education teachers. Focus on linking practice to theory while broadening your understanding of the educational processes as they relate to the physical education teaching and learning environment. The degree does not result in teacher endorsement by the State of Iowa. Next cohort starts Fall 2022.
- International Application for Admission
- Official Transcripts sent directly from your current and/or all prior academic institutions that you have attended to the Office of Admissions
- Minimum undergraduate grade point average of a 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale
- Official TOEFL (79), IELTS (6.5), or Duolingo (105)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Applicant Statement addressing the motivations for seeking degree, research interests or expertise, and professional goals
- Fall Semester: March 1st for full consideration
- Spring Semester: November 1st for full consideration
- Pedagogy: July 11, 2022 for the cohort starting August 2022
Graduate Assistantship Requirements:
- Students must complete and submit the Graduate College Assistantship Application and the Graduate College Tuition Scholarship Application form by February 1 for priority consideration, although applications are accepted year round.
Contacts and More Information:
- Program Of Study
- Department Website (specific departments are mentioned below)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com