International students who are not native speakers of English must provide evidence of English language proficiency. The following are accepted by the University of Northern Iowa as measures of English proficiency:
- Obtain a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) minimum score of 79 on the Internet-based TOEFL (550 on the paper-based TOEFL/213-computer-based) for unrestricted admission.
- Obtain a International English Language Testing System (IELTS) minimum overall band score (academic track) of 6.0 for unrestricted admission.
- Obtain a Certificate in C1 Advanced English (formerly CAE) score of 169 or higher for restricted admission.
- Obtain a Certificate in C2 Proficiency English (formerly CPE) grade of B2 or score of 170 unrestricted admission.
- Obtain a Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) minimum score of 80 for unrestricted admission or 75 for restricted admission.
- Obtain a 52 or above on the Pearson Test of English (PTE) for unrestricted admission.
- Obtain a score of 4 or 5 for unrestricted admission of 3 for restricted admission on the Advanced Placement Engllish Language and Composition exam.
- Obtain a General Certificate of Education Advanced Level (GCE A-level) pass in English with a grade of A, B, or C from one of the five British-based examining boards.
- Obtain a ACT Assessment English Test minimum score of 20.
- Obtain a SAT I Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (EBRW) score of 480.
- Obtain a SAT Literature Subject Test minimum score of 460.
- Obtain a International Baccalaureate (IB) grade of 4, 5, 6, or 7 in English A1 or A2 at the Higher Level (HL) or Standard Level (SL).
- Complete Level 7 of the UNI Culture and Intensive English Program (CIEP) with recommendation from the Director of CIEP.
- Complete 24 or more semester hours of transferable credit with required grade point average from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university.
Conditional admission may be considered for undergraduate students who are academically qualified but have low or no proof of English proficiency. These students will be tested upon arrival on campus and will be required to enroll in intensive English courses as necessary.